Saturday, July 31, 2010

Wayfaring Stranger - The Song

The name of this blog is taken from the title of one of my Grandfather's favorite songs, an old Appalachian spiritual/hymn entitled "Wayfaring Stranger".  There seems to be a great deal of debate as to the song's exact origin and date, but my Granddaddy didn't seem to worry about those things, so neither will I.  What is important, however, is the song's powerful message about a soul on a journey through life whose final stop is heaven, reunion with faithful loved ones, and the eternal embrace of the great God of love.  Yep, I like this song and the truth it speaks to us all.

A lot of performers have included it in their repertoires; Burl Ives (the Snowman in "Rudolph, the Red-Nosed Reindeer), Tennessee Ernie Ford, Johnny Cash, Jack White (in the movie "Cold Mountain") and the "Father of Bluegrass" Bill Monroe, along with a host of others.  Personally, I like Ford's voice more than the rest and Monroe's version seems more authentic.  But recently, I came across another version by the Christian group Selah.  It's a powerful, mournful, and haunting version that sticks to the roots of the song. 

Later, I'll post some other versions of the song.  But for now, have a listen to this...

No comments: